- An understanding of and commitment to best practices for prosecutors
- Reflection on your own actions that help or hinder delivery of Sixth Amendment rights
- A willingness to learn from successful projects and model programs in other jurisdictions
What do I need to do to accomplish my role?
How might I be hindering justice?
- Not providing defendants with proper notice of the charges against them
- Overcharging defendants to gain leverage in plea negotiations
- Overcharging defendants to trigger certain procedural changes, e.g., transfer to a different court that provides an automatic right to counsel
- Not disclosing evidence to the defense through discovery